St Marys Church Cleator Moor
St Marys Church, which is in Cleator Moor, is a Catholic church designed by E W Pugin in the early 1800’s. This replaced the earlier mission church which was built in 1853.
St Mary’s was consecrated in 1872. It has a high narrow tower with an exterior bell. The grounds are home to a meditative walk on the Stations of the Cross and Our Lady’s Grotto, which is a replica of the Grotto at Lourdes in France.
This grotto was added in 1927, and every September it is visited by pilgrims.