Millom Castle, which is located on the south side of the A5093 approximately a mile to the north of Millom and north west of Barrow in Furness in the Lake District, was built by Godard de Boyville who owned the first manor of Millom. A licence to crenellate was granted by Edward III in 1335.
This castle, which was later passed to the Huddleston family as the last de Boyville died without a male heir, was badly damaged apparently by a canon attack during the English Civil War. However, although repairs were made in approximately 1670, the castle was again in ruin by approximately 1739.
Today these considerable ruins cluster round a 16th century working farmhouse, which partly occupies the massive pele tower.