Ireby lies on the west of Caldbeck and lies approximately five hundred and fifty feet above sea level in an area known as the back of Skiddaw, is an unspoilt peaceful village.
Ireby, which received it’s market charter in 1237 developed into a thriving sheep market.
The four small roads that meet in the centre of the village, where a moot hall and butter cross is located, would suggest the village’s former high profile in this area of England. However, over time Wigton and Cockermouth proved too much competition for it. This town would be a good base for Skiddaw, Bassenthwaite and the Solway Coast.