Grey Croft Stone Circle
Grey Croft Stone Circle, which is situated just a few hundred yards from BNFL’s Sellafield complex near Seascale in the Western Lakes. Here you will see the contrast of Neolithic and nuclear ages side by side. Unfortunately only ten out of the originally reported twelve stones remain. The land’s tenant farmer deliberately buried all but one of the stones in the early 19th century in an attempt to speed up his ploughing.
These stones remained hidden until 1949, when William Fletcher – who was the founding member of the South West branch of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archeological Society and a Burser at Pelham House School for Boys – together with some of the pupils rediscovered them and restored them to their original position and in the process they discovered a smaller circle, oval in shape, within the larger circle measuring approximately 6.6 metres by 4.5 metres.
Access to this site, which is to the north of Seascale and close to the BNFL Sellafield Visitor Centre stands on private land which forms part of the Seascale How Farm, can be accessed by the public footpath which crosses Seascale Golf Course.