Glannoventa, which is a Roman fort at Ravenglass, is situated just off the A595 Whitehaven to Barrow in Furness road. This fort was discovered in 1850 during the building of the Furness Railway. Unfortunately much of the remains of the old fort are crumbling away, however, earthworks can still be seen near the Ravenglass Roman Bath House or Walls Castle as it is now known. It is thought, based on the size of the Roman Bath House, that this fort was large enough to house approximately 1,000 soldiers. There is also evidence that soldiers stationed here served in Hadrian’s fleet.
The Romans apparently occupied Ravenglass for over 300 years. The importance of this location being not just as a naval base but the fact that it served as a supply point for much of the north west using a Roman built road to cover the route across Hardknott Pass to another Roman fort at Ambleside, known as Galava.