Egremont Castle, which was built by William de Meschines around 1130 – 1140, is situated in the town of Egremont in the Western Lakes. Apparently this castle was built on the site of a Dane fort, which stood on a mound above the River Ehen. Additions were made to Egremont Castle during the 13th century.
However, when the castle started to fall into disrepair, it was thought that the local town people used some of the stone to repair the shop and house fronts on the Main Street and in the Market Square. Some of these buildings date back to the 15th century. This castle is now maintained by the English Heritage. Egremont Castle can apparently be accessed at any time as it is on public land.