Lake District Castles
Brougham Castle in Brougham overlooks the river Eamont and stands on the site of a Roman fort at the meeting point of north-south and east-west routes approximately one and a half miles south-east of Penrith.
Cockermouth Castle, which is located in the town of Cockermouth and approximately eight miles east of Workington, is mainly a 13th century structure which was rebuilt in 1360 upon the site of a Norman castle dating from 1134.
Egremont Castle, which was built by William de Meschines around 1130 – 1140, is situated in the town of Egremont in the Western Lakes.
Kendal Castle, which was built in the late 12th century, is located on a hill east of the market town of Kendal on the edge of the Lake District.
Lowther Castle, which is situated just off the A6 between Shap and Penrith in Northern Cumbria, was built by Robert Smirke between 1806 and 1811.
Millom Castle, which is located on the south side of the A5093 approximately a mile to the north of Millom and north west of Barrow in Furness.
Muncaster Castle, which is a privately owned castle, overlooks the Esk River and approximately a mile south of the west coastal town of Ravenglass in Cumbria.
Sizergh Castle, which is a castle, stately home and garden in Sizergh, Cumbria, is situated approximately four miles south of Kendal.
Wray Castle, which stands on the west shore of Lake Windermere and approximately two miles south of the village of Ambleside.