Broughton in Furness
Broughton in Furness, which is a small town on the southern edge of the Lake District, lies near the River Duddon just north of the west Cumbrian coastal village of Foxfield. This town became the local market town for both fishing and agriculture. The obelisk in the centre of the market square was erected to mark the Jubilee of King George III in 1810. The market square also has the original fish slabs and stocks, these are all shaded by trees and surrounded by a variety of old houses.
The Coniston branch of the Furness Railway, which used to pass through the town, was opened in 1859 but sadly the line was closed and dismantled in 1958. The nearest railway station to Broughton is now Foxfield railway station, which is approximately two miles south west of Broughton. The Swinside Stone Circle, which is on private ground, can be seen from the Duddon Bridge to Corney Fell road. The Duddon Iron Furnace, which is off the Ulpha road just north of Duddon Bridge on the A595, is cared for by the Lake District National Park. Here you will find the most complete charcoal blast furnace, which dates from 1736, in England.