Boot, which is a small hamlet in the Eskdale Valley, is situated just of the road from Skelwith Bridge which goes through Little Langdale and then proceeds over Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass to Gosforth in Cumbria. Boot may also be visited from the terminus of The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
Cottages were built in this tiny hamlet in approximately 1870 for iron miners who worked in the fells on either side of the valley. In approximately 1875, the Whitehaven Iron Mines Company, who operated Nab Gill mine, built the railway to Ravenglass to carry out the ore.
After visiting the Eskdale Mill, which apparently dates back to 1578, it is worth crossing the main road to the church of St Catherine, which although is a simple village church, is located on a spectacular site next to the Esk river.