Lake District Tourist statistics
The history of tourism in the Lake District has some healthy figures, figures are usually collected from Tourist Information Centres, Accommodation providers and Visitor Attractions on average per year about 15.5 million people arrive here, these numbers can be broken down further into different types of visitor, approximatley 33% of the visitors actually stay overnight and the other 67% are day trippers.
Employment from Tourism
Around 20,000 full time jobs are directly related to the visitor, there is also almost twice this figure for seasonal employment, seasonal employment, which includes cafe staff, hotel staff, shop assistants etc is around 35,000 per year depending on global factors this figure can vary a lot.
The Lake District economy is estimated to be worth over £6.5 million per year, visitors that stayed over in Lake District serviced accommodation account for almost 40% and self catering holiday makers are around 30% of the revenue generated in the area.
The revenue generated can be broken down into categories, about 28% is spent on the various types of holiday accommodation, 28% is spent by visitor related businesses stocking their hotels, shops and attractions with goods for the tourist, this shopping is indirectly related, about 18% of the generated revenue is visitors buying food and drink, transport, including boat rides, buses and sightseeing generates around 11%, shopping is around 10% and recreation about 5%
Estimated figures from CumbriaTourism