Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway
The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, which is England’s oldest fifteen inch narrow gauge heritage railway on the western fringe of the Lake District, is a seven mile long line which runs from Ravenglass to Dalegarth Station near Boot in the valley of Eskdale. At Ravenglass this line connects with Ravenglass railway station on the Cumbrian Coast Line. There are riverside and fell walks from Boot back to Ravenglass and other attractive shorter expeditions from intermediate stations. Intermediate stations and steps are at Muncaster Mill, Miteside, Murthwaite, Irton Road, Eskdale Green, Fisherground and Beckfoot.
This railway, which is run by a privately owned company, is supported by the Preservation Society. Locally this line is known as La’al Ratty, however, it’s predecessor – which was a three foot gauge – was known as Owd Ratty. The River Irt, which is the oldest locomotive, has parts that date back to around 1894. The Douglas Ferreira, which is the youngest locomotive, is a diesel-hydraulic which was built in 2005. This railway, which is steeped in history, provides a fun day out for the whole family.