Maryport

Maryport was originally called Ellenfoot, was developed by the Senhouse family in 1749. Local landowner, Humphrey Senhouse, obtained an Act in Parliament in 1749 to develop a new town and harbour, from which to export coal that had been extracted from the northern part of what was then the Cumberland coalfield.

Info Panel

Village: Maryport

OS grid ref: NY035365

Coordinates: 54° 42′ 51″ N, 3° 29′ 58″ W

Humphrey Senhouse renamed the town after his wife Mary. This name change was later confirmed in an Act of Parliament in 1791. Maryport had the largest docks, on the west Cumbria coast, until 1927.

Maryport, which is on the scenic Solway Firth, is a beautiful harbour side town with almost 2000 years of history and is proud to offer it’s visitors a Roman fort, Roman museum, Georgian buildings, Victorian docks and it’s links with famous men and historical events.

At one time it’s busy harbour became derelict, however, it is now part of a new development which includes a maritime museum, The Lake District Coast Aquarium, marina and other visitor facilities.

Main Tourist Towns

Windermere Bowness on Windermere Ambleside Coniston Hawkshead Keswick

All Towns & Villages

Towns and Villages

Lake District Categories

Northern Lake District Southern Lake District Western Lake District Eastern Lake District

Lake District Lakes and Waters

Lake Windermere Coniston Water Derwent Water Ullswater