Dunnerdale with Seathwaite
Dunnerdale with Seathwaite, which is a civil parish in the Duddon Valley in Cumbria, should not be confused with the Seathwaite hamlet in Borrowdale. Seathwaite Tarn, which is west of Coniston Fells, takes it’s name from the village of Seathwaite which is northeast of Hall Dunnerdale and southwest of the tarn.
This village, which lies along Walna Scar road, can be accessed from the A595 in the south, or alternatively, from the Hardknott and Wrynose Pass road in the north, which is off the A593 from Skelwith Bridge. The name Seathwaite, which was originally spelt Seuthwayt, first appeared in written records in 1340. The name Seathwaite, which apparently arrives from a combination of the old norse words sef (sedges) and threit (clearing), could mean Sedges clearing.
The Newfield Inn, which is a pub that dates from the 16th century, is a local landmark in Seathwaite. Apparently it is reputed that William Wordsworth would visit here in the early 19th century on his trips to The Lakes. He also dedicated one of his 35 Duddon Sonnets to the church, which is called Holy Trinity and which was originally built in the early 1500s, and to the Reverend Robert Walker. Unfortunately, the church had to be completely rebuilt in 1874, due to it’s debilitated condition.