Crosscanonby Salt Pans
Along the Cumbrian coast salt was made from the sea water for almost 700 years. However, the Crosscanonby Salt Pans, which was built in approximately 1650 by the Senhouses of Netherhall, is the remains of one of the new generation of salt works. This seems to have closed approximately 86 years later.
This site is a good example of this practice. The process of extracting the salt from the sea water is explained in detail on the Allerdale Borough Council’s website. Directions to this site, which is on the B5300 road from Maryport, is the same as for Milefortlet 21.