Brougham Hall, which is situated in the village of Brougham and approximately one mile south of Penrith, is the historic home of the Brougham family which fell into total ruin in the 1930’s. However, the Vaux and Brougham Trust started a programme of reconstruction and a range of craft workshops, a tea room and a gift shop have been established within the impressive outer walls.
The house, which had been repaired in the 17th century by Lady Anne Clifford, became the residence of her agent, John Bird. However, during the 19th century is was repossessed and extended by Lord Brougham, who later became Lord Chancellor. The house became known as “the Windsor of the North”. It was Lord Brougham who helped to introduce the Reform Bill of 1832 and championed the causes of slave emancipation, religious freedom and national education. However, he is also remembered as the inventor of the brougham carriage.