Ambleside is mainly Victorian and has been around since before the Romans built a settlement near Borrans Park, Galava was built to house around 500 soldiers to defend the surrounding hills and fells from the Picts & Scots and also to protect the main road to the Roman port of Ravenglass which is known as Hardknott Pass where there are more Roman ruins.
Ambleside is served by road via the A591 from Windermere since the mid 1800’s the village expanded further as boats were able to transport goods and people to Waterhead Piers from Bowness and Lakeside.
The village today is a busy tourist area, it’s the gateway to the Northern Lakes.
Things of interest
The bridge house in Ambleside built over Stock Beck in the centre of the village.
Ambleside has a population of just under 3,000